IN THE HOPES OF CUTTING CORNERS, COST SAVINGS OFTEN OUTWEIGHS THE DUE PROCESS OF PROVIDING A SAFE VEHICLE, WHICH IS SCARY CONSIDERING HOW MANY CARS AND PEOPLE ARE ON THE ROADS.
An innumerable number of people are injured, dismembered, or killed in motor vehicle accidents each year. Many of these deaths are because of defects in the vehicle’s design. The technology is available to the auto industry to create safe vehicles that can even withstand a collision, but unfortunately, manufacturers do not exploit this technology to its full potential.
WHAT ARE MOTOR VEHICLE DEFECTS?
Motor vehicle defects refer to flaws that create safety hazards or have the potential to result in the injury of the operator or passengers. These are the most common examples of motor vehicle defects, but are not limited to:
- Brake and gas pedal defects
- Safety belt failure
- Airbag failure
- Flaws in the fuel, exhaust or cooling systems
- Misaligned steering mechanisms
- Electrical or computer issues
- Structural defects in the body, frame, engine, or transmission
LEGAL PARAMETERS OF MOTOR VEHICLE DEFECTS
Motor vehicle defects cases rely on the doctrine of product liability. Product liability depicts the areas of law that handles the attempts to recover losses incurred due to the flaw in the product. The responsible party may be the manufacturer, the distributor, the designer, or the merchant of the product, or a combination of the parties mentioned above. Determining which party is at fault for the product defects and unexpected losses at the hand of the flaw relies on understanding the chain of responsibility amongst all parties and locate the origin of the defect. There are variations of the cases of product liability. The following are the three primary variations of product liability:
- Design Defect – This occurs if the design of the product is unsafe.
- Manufacturing Defect – If the design of the product is safe, but the method of making the product is not, then this would be a manufacturing defect.
- Warning Defect – When a product does not fulfill the extent of utilizing warnings or sufficient instructions about the use of the product and an injury occurs while using the mentioned product, this is a warning defect.
Enduring injuries, medical expenses, and emotional damages due to the defective ways of a motor vehicle defect deserve proper compensation and representation. At Chalaki Law, P.C. , we value the suffering and losses you have incurred at the hands of the auto industry. Our experienced attorneys will fight for the compensation that you deserve for your pain and suffering.